Monday, August 13, 2012

Suddenly Obsessed with Quinoa

Have you heard of Quinoa?  I'm sure you have. Especially since it is getting increasingly popular in the mainstream food world. Well, I had it for the first time a few years ago and I thought it was just ok as far a taste was concerned. However, it was/is supposed to be fantastic nutritionally so I gave it a whirl.

 I tried the regular kind  and then an instant version which I did not like at all. Since then I've had it here and there but it hasn't come close to being a favorite. But, for some reason, about a week ago I suddenly got the urge to get some and eat it for breakfast. Yup! I specifically wanted to make it for breakfast-like a hot cereal. So I went to Trader Joes and picked up a box and cooked it according to the directions. I made this at night so I would not have to in the morning. The yield was probably easily enough for a family of four or five.

The next morning I warmed up a serving of quinoa on the stove. Then I turned off the stove, added a little almond milk, dried cranberries, cinnamon, crushed sliced almonds, and a little raw sugar to taste. Verdict? I really liked it. And I had it again for breakfast the next morning. After having this for breakfast twice, I decided to use the leftover portion  for other dishes which were: Quinoa cakes (pictured above) and quinoa with marinated tofu and edamame.  I used several recipes for the cakes as references only sort of freestyled my own version. And for  tofu and edamame,  I marinated tofu in a  bit of tamari and spices and added it to the quinoa along with edamame. Warmed it up in a skillet and added more seasonings to taste. Both dishes were pretty good but I liked the tofu and edamame combo better than the cakes. I will probably try more recipes with quinoa pretty soon. First on my list is something with lots of mushrooms. And then maybe desserts. I'll keep you posted!
Have you tried quinoa?
Do you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment