Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My First Mamey Sapote Fruit



I was doing some light shopping at a small grocery and picked up Mamey Sapote fruit. I've never had it before but I have heard of (and used) Sapote oil which is used in one of my fave hair care products. When I got home I did a little search to find out more about the fruit, e.g., taste, texture,  and how to know when it's ripe. I learned that it should be medium-soft and it's taste was most often described a cross between pumpkin and sweet potato. And the texture was described as similar to avocado. Since my fruit was rock hard I let it sit for a few days to ripen. Once it was ready, I dug in and I liked it. And I totally got the pumkin/sweet potato taste. And the texture was very soft and creamy almost like sorbet. So I think I let it ripen too long. I ate half of the fruit and froze the rest.  I made a smoothie one day and the next day I made a shake with almond milk and a little bit of cinnamon. Twas delish! I'll be on the look out for more Mamey Sapote when I go shopping.