Monday, March 25, 2013

Out and About: Inspiring Beauty 50 Years of Ebony Fashion Fair

This past weekend I went to the Chicago History Museum to check out the Inspiring Beauty exhibit which showcases 50 Years of Ebony Fashion Fair. And if you have not heard of Ebony Fashion Fair, it was the largest traveling fashion show tour which was started by Eunice Johnson. The Ebony Fashion Fair tour traveled from state to state and  featured couture garments from some of the finest fashion houses such as  Givenchy, Oscar de la Renta, Christian Dior, and more. Mrs. Johnson also made sure to include African-American designers including Patrick Kelly, Stephen Burrows and Fabrice. Ready-to-wear garments were also included.



Walking through this exhibit was somewhat of a walk down memory lane because I spent a 4.5 years touring with show as a wardrobe assistant. I saw plenty of dresses that I steamed, stitched up, zipped up and spot cleaned. There were also short informational videos about the company and the show. So I saw plenty of familiar faces who were on tour with me including models, sound staff, and my beloved wardrobe crew. Touring Ebony Fashion Fair was such a fun time and an experience I'll never forget. I traveled to most of the U.S., cared for couture clothing from designers that I learned about in fashion school. Plus, I made life-long friends.  I sometimes took this experience for granted but as time passes I realize how important it was.

 I'm so glad that I decided to go to this exhibit and I was in good company because Kristena of Kristena Witherspoon Designs and Letroy of Thriftanista in the City blog were there. We had a good hanging together and hopefully we can do it again soon. The only down side was not being able to take photos.  I took one picture and it was of the entrance to the exhibit (see above). Overall, it was a very nice exhibit and I'd encourage anyone to go see it.

Note: scroll down to see a few photos of me and the wardrobe staff





                                                      Fashions 2000 - season 1999-2000

This was my first tour. That's me in the turquoise tank. We were always acting silly


Glam Odyssey - season 2007-2008

Photo shoot for the tour program. I wasn't really prepared for this photo (long story)  and I 
think  it was the first time, in a long time, the wardrobe staff was included in the program. 
I only worked second leg of this tour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment