Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm Running! Yay?!

For the past few weeks I have been running (2-3x per week) with a group called Black Girls Run (BGR). I started running with BGR because I've been in sort of a workout slump for the last few months.  I would do workouts at home with dvds, magazines, YouTube, and Pinterest. I started getting really bored with them though. And I didn't want to join a gym so I decided to give running a go.


I figured running with a group would make it more fun because I'd get to be outside and meet/befriend new people. There's also the factor of accountability.  Plus, my group (and many of the others) run quite early. So that helps with discipline, creating a new routine, structure. And I feel like I need that right now because it's not always easy to structure yourself when you're working out at home.


When I first joined BGR it took be about a month to actually get out and run. I wanted to wait until I got new gear because most of my old workout clothes have been killed by crafts (glue, paint, markers,etc...,). My running shoes are a little too. But I've become a firm believer of starting where you are because waiting for perfect conditions is usually waste of time. So one day I decided to just go. I threw on a t-shirt, some leggings, and met up with my group at about 6am on a Tuesday morning; I'm so glad I did. It was just the jumpstart I needed to get my A in G.


I must mention that I have ran on treadmills in the past but I never really set any goals; I would just run/jog for a bit then walk. With the running group we run/walk at least 3 miles every time we meet. I've even ran a few times on my own on days that we don't/can't  meet. So I'm getting a little more serious now. In fact, I'm trying to get increase my endurance and speed so that I can run a 5k. Could it be that I'm becoming a runner? Perhaps! I'll keep you posted.


Are you a runner? Love it? Hate it?


Note: the photo above is of a local running trail



2 comments:

  1. Good for you Jasmine! I am a memeber of BGR here in my town, but I haven't "joined" them yet. The early hour doesn't work for me. I want to start the Couch to 5K program a friend gave me. Keep us posted on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! glad you're a fellow BGR. And I totally understand about the early morning times. Most of our groups start running at the crack. lol. I do hope to do a 5k in the near future. I'll keep ya posted.

      Delete