Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cheap Eats: World Market Classic Soup Mix

I was in World Market a few days ago and I came across some dry soup mixes. They were only $3.99 and the label said one mix served 8 people. I thought that sounded like a great deal so I decided to give it a try. I bought two of the mixes (bistro style lentil, tomato tortellini) and there were several other varieties. 

I tried the tomato tortellini one last night and it was pretty good. The directions were pretty quick and easy.   Add the soup mix (minus the tortellini) to 7 cups of water and an 8oz can of tomato sauce. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15minutes. Then add tortellini and simmer another 15 minutes. I, of course, did a little tweaking and sauteed a little onion and garlic in the soup pot (before adding water and mix). And I added a few more herbs and some frozen kale greens. 


Overall I thought the soup mix was quite good. It's all natural (though not organic) and the ingredients are very simple. It has nice a level of flavor and spice and...um.....it's cheap. So, I will definitely go back to World Market and try some of the other varieties of this mix.   



No comments:

Post a Comment